Everything We Know about My Fake Boyfriend Movie So Far

The film industry has an enormous influence on our society. In the latter years, the industry has talked more openly about the LGBTQ+ communities and has made impactful progress by bringing those stories to the big screen.

To create further impact, Lionsgate and BuzzFeed are producing My Fake Boyfriend, an LGBTQ romantic comedy, starring Keiynan Lonsdale, Dylan Sprouse, and Sarah Hyland.

‘My Fake Boyfriend’: The Plot

My Fake Boyfriend follows a young man (Lonsdale) who uses social media to create a fake boyfriend to keep his awful ex-lover out of his life. It was his best friend (Sprouse) who gave him such an unconventional idea.

But things become difficult for the openly queer actor as his character meets the real love of his life.

Speaking with Deadline in July 2021, Richard Alan Reid, the SVP of global content and head of the studio at BuzzFeed, explained the project by saying that the movie was a fresh comedy with a universal appeal, led by an exciting, diverse cast of talent.

He further praised the director of the film Rose Troche, stating,

There is no better person to tell this queer love story than Rose Troche, and we’re delighted to partner with Lionsgate to share this story with millennial and Gen Z audiences around the world.

Cast Is Excited about the Movie

The movie was announced on July 29, 2021.

In the subsequent days, the cast showed their excitement about My Fake Boyfriend through their social media.

On August 1, Australian actor Lonsdale grammed a snap of Deadline's report about the movie's announcement. He stated that he was pretty happy about the project through the caption.

Two days later, Hyland, the American actress renowned for playing Haley Dunphy on the ABC sitcom Modern Family, also posted the same snap accompanied by three other snaps from the movie's set.

In one of those pictures, she dressed in a doctor's uniform — a matching light blue long-sleeved dress shirt and pants, with a white coat. She also had her face shield.

Her post's caption, which read "Cuties in Canada," revealed that the movie is being filmed in Canada.

Creators, Production, and Release Date

Like previously mentioned, My Fake Boyfriend is being produced by the media companies Lionsgate and BuzzFeed.

The person associated with BuzzFeed is Reid, while Lauren Bixby, the vice president of co-productions and acquisitions at Lionsgate, leads the project for his company.

In addition to them, Jason Moring and Michael Philip are co-producing the movie.

The film is being directed by the openly lesbian film director Troche, who has previously directed movies like Go Fish, Bedrooms and Hallways, and The Safety of Objects.

She has also been recognized at several prestigious events, including Berlin International Film Festival, London Film Festival, and San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival.

The film is written by Luke Albright, Joe Wanjai Ross, and Greg Boaldin.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the LGBTQ romantic comedy's release date is expected to be on the occasion of pride month in June 2022.

ncG1vNJzZmign6G5usPOqJummaOge6S7zGinaKWpYrOit8Rmmaixlqe2prrDZqSorpmaeqSt0q1kq52cmq60sYydmK2dXp3Brrg%3D